You can't make everything from scratch

...but you can sure try!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my blog!

Having enjoyed many other people's food blogs over the past year, I recently decided it was time to give something back, even if that only meant adding my voice to this burgeoning Internet phenomenon with a blog whose readership consists solely of my family. (Hi Mom and Dad!)

What is this blog about?
Drawing on a recent post by Makikoh Itoh at i was just really very hungry, I thought it was a good idea to have a specific goal for my own blog. So my focus is going to be on the fact that we all rely to some extent on food that has been processed or prepared, whether it's as commonplace as tea or bread, or as complex as frozen pizza or a President's Choice entrée. In other words, as the name of my blog says, you can't make everything from scratch!

In exploring this theme, I intend to both look at prepared foods and try to recreate some of them at home. This will probably involve both product reviews (for which I am not compensated) and comparisons of prepared products to the from-scratch version: the fact that we do rely so heavily on processed foods doesn't mean we can't try making them from scratch, even if it is only once in our life. And, of course, I'll also just write about some of the things I'm cooking and eating.

Who am I?
Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a 27-year-old professional translator with a strong interest in food. I don't know where this interest comes from, but it has been developing in leaps and bounds over the past few years, to the point that I now feel comfortable calling myself a "foodie." This can be a bit of problem these days, because I'm living in small-town New Brunswick (for the moment, at least), where good food (in both its raw and restaurant-prepared forms) can be really quite hard to come by.

I have no professional culinary training beyond Techniques culinaires I (that's "Cooking 101," for those of you who don't speak French) at Montreal's Institut de tourisme et d'hôtellerie du Québec. I tend mostly to cook from recipes, although I'm starting to spread my wings by adding my own touches to those recipes and even inventing whole meals, based on the skills and techniques I've acquired over the years.

For the time being, I can't promise that I will update a particular number of times a week, so check back often. If I haven't written anything since your last visit, check out the links on the side to some of my favourite food blogs to read.

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:52 AM, Blogger the foppish baker said…

    Hi, I noticed I had had some visitors from your site, so I thought I'd check it out. It looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing your entries.

    Also, hurrah for professional-translators/foodies. :)

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Hi Foppish Baker, and welcome to the site! I love reading about your breadmaking, especially since I haven't had a lot of luck with it myself.

    Is the Reinhart book really my best bet to start?

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger the foppish baker said…

    Yeah, breadmaking is hard. It's taken a lot of practice to get where I am now, and I still lose loaves.

    I personally like Reinhart's books, but there are people who find them confusing too. It's a lot of theory and long explanations in paragraphs, rather than straight recipes. I find that more useful and helpful though. I'd say 'Breadbaker's Apprentice' is a better start than his earlier book.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home